Who is eligible?

According to Swedish Immigration Agency you can ask and apply for self-employment permit if:

- You are currently running a business in your home country

- You are not currently running a business but you want to start a business in Sweden

- You are studying as an international student in Sweden

- You have applied for asylum and have received a temporary residence permit


Note: For those who are currently citizen of Sweden and want to start their own business, rules and regulations are explained at www.arbetsformedlingen.se and www.verksamt.se 
Please contact us if you want to know more or ask a question.



There are different rules and some exceptions if you are planning to run a business for shorter/longer than 3 months depending on which country you are originally from. We have explaind this in a short way as following and provided some links for you to read the detailed information.



If you are an EU citizen:

  • You don't need a visa to enter Sweden
  • After you enter to Sweden, you are allowed to work
  • You can run your own business for less than 90 days
  • As a self-employed person who wants to run a business for longer than 90 days, you need to apply for a permit


If you are a citizen from a country outside EU:

  • Citizens in certain countries must have an entry visa 
    (Click here for the list of countries whose citizens require a visa to enter Sweden)
  • You need to apply for a Swedish Residence Permit
  • In order to start your own business, you need to apply for a residence permit before coming to Sweden
  • If for any reason you are already in Sweden, you need to apply before your current permit is expired
(Extracted from Swedish Migration Agency website. Last updated on 2018-04-10)



Rate this item
(1 Vote)
More in this category: What are the requirements? »