What are the requirements?

General Requirements: 

After making sure that you are capable of getting a visa for Sweden (in case that you need one), the next step is to apply for a residency permit as a self-employed person. You need to provide and submit the following documents to Swedish Migration Agency:

1- A valid passport

2- Show that you have significant experience in your field and previous experience of running your own business

3- Have documented and relevant knowledge in Swedish and/or English

4- Show that you have the ultimate responsibility for the business that you are (will be) running and at the same time you own at least half of the business

5- Show that the business' services or goods are sold and/or produced in Sweden

6- Show that you have sufficient funds to support you and, if applicable, your family during the first two years (explained below)

7- Show reliable source documentation for your budget (including the required investment in the business plus item 6)

8- Show that you have established some customer contacts and/or a network in Sweden

9- Show that your company, following a 2-year probationary period, will have its finances in balance and you have the ability to support yourself and, if applicable, your family (Business Plan)



In order to show your financial capability of supporting yourself (and your family if applicable), you need to provide a bank statement from either your bank account in your home country or a Swedish bank (if you already have a running account) for the following amounts:

- Equivalent to SEK 200,000 for you as the main applicant

- Equivalent to SEK 100,000 for your spouse or co-applicant

- Equivalent to SEK 50,000 for each accompanying child in your family

Example: If you are applying as a family of 4 (Husband, Wife and two Children) then you need to show a bank statement which in SEK is equivalent to 200,000 + 100,000 + 2x50,000 = 400,000

Attention: This is the Minimum amount which is acceptable to show that you can support yourself in Sweden for two years and you need to show that financially you are capable of providing the required expenses for your business as well.


You need to provide a Business Plan including a Financial Analysis which will be required by different organisations including Swedish Migration Agency. However, preparing a business plan is the most important and the smartest move for you to make sure that you are aware of what you are going to do. A reasonable and well developed business plan will also keep you from being distracted or disappointed and will highly help you to save resources until breaking even.

Please be aware that the above mentioned items and values may differ at the time of your application. We will try to keep everything updated but the best choice is to final check the list and numbers in Swedish Migration Agency's website.



If you are currently a student (as international student specially from outside EU countries) and want to apply for residence permit as a self-employed person in Sweden, you need to fulfil the following conditions as well:

  • You need to apply before your current permit expires
  • You need to enclose a certificate of studies in Sweden showing that you have completed at least 30 higher education credits or has completed a term of postgraduate education

Depending on your business idea and business plan, some of the general requirements may change or differ depending on your case. 



Asylum Seekers:

If you have applied for asylum, have received a temporary residence permit, and are able to support yourself, then you can receive a permanent residence permit in some cases. Other rules apply to you, than for those who are self-employed and do not have a temporary residence permit based on need for protection. In order to receive a permanent residence permit as a self-employed person you must demonstrate that you can support yourself now, and that you have sufficient capital available for you to run your business and support yourself for at least two years. 

You can read more detailed information here



(Extracted from Swedish Migration Agency website. Last updated on 2018-04-10)
Rate this item
(1 Vote)