How to apply?

If you can see that you meet the requirements, it is suggested to make a plan for your application first. The plan could be in form of a calendar divided into months and weeks where you schedule and mark different activities that you are supposed to do through the process. Keep in mind that the whole process may take up to one year since you submit your request until you get a result of the decision made on your case, depending on how accurate your documents are and the existing number of open cases in the migration agency.


You can either apply online or apply in person. In both cases, you will need to enclose the following documents:

- Copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport's validity, entry and exit stamps and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin. (Make sure to extend your passport if it is about to expire. You cannot obtain a temporary permit for longer than your passport's period of validity)

- Bank statements which shows that you have sufficient funds to support you and your family during the first 2 years (as explained before)

- Bank statements which show, if applicable, that you have sufficient funds to buy the business and to cover the estimated costs and investments necessary to run the business

- Contract of sale if you have bought or intend to buy the business or enterprise

- Partnership agreement or stock register 

- Bank document which shows that you have paid the purchase sum or your part of the purchase sum, if you have bought the business or enterprise

- Contracts with customers/suppliers and for premises

- Annual accounts/reports for the previous 2 years (if the business has been in operation earlier)

- Balance sheet and income statement (report) for the current financial year, up to and including the previous month

- Course certificate or other evidence that you speak Swedish and/or English

- Certificates to substantiate your educational background

- Certificates from previous employers

- Certificate of registration for companies you own or have own outside of Sweden


There is an application fee which you need to pay. Here you can find a table including the fee for different types of application and different ways that you can pay it. Note that the fees may change during the time so make sure that you are paying the right amount by double checking before transferring the money. Also don't forget to take in account the co-applicants' fees if applicable in your case. For example, a family of 3 including husband, wife and a child under 18 years old should pay 2000+1000+500=3500 SEK.


Attention: If you need a visa to enter Sweden, submitting this application does not mean that you are now eligible to enter Sweden without obtaining a valid visa.


When you submit your application by providing all the documents and paying the application fee, you will enter to a Waiting Period while your case is being processed.

  • If you are currently in Sweden obtaining a valid visa, by applying for self-employment visa and residence permit you have the right to remain in Sweden while the Migration Agency makes a decision. You also have the right to work in your business as well.
  • If you go abroad when your existing permit expires, you may have trouble re-entering Sweden until your new permit is granted especially if you are from a country whose citizens require a visa to enter Sweden. In that case, you might have to wait for your decision outside Sweden. 


Help: If you are applying online, provide a digital copy of all your documents in a reasonable quality as separate PDF files and name them the files according to their contents. This will help you to upload the correct document to the related section without doing any mistakes..



Applying OnLine:

You can apply online from your own country or while you are in Sweden. In case that you are supposed to pay an application fee, you can pay it online at the end of application process as well. We suggest that before submitting your application, download an off-line form and read the contents to see what type of information you need to provide.


Application form for Swedish residence permit for self-employed persons - 125011(in English): 

Application form for Swedish residence permit for co-applicant(s) of a self-employed persons - 133011 (in English): 


You can include the co-applicants in your online application if they are going to accompany you to Sweden. If they are not applying at the same time with you, they can do their own online application later.  



Applying in Person:

In case that you are not able to submit an online application, you need to fill in the related forms, collect the rest of documents and submit them to a Swedish embassy or consulate-general in your country of residence.

- If you are applying at an embassy or consulate-general, you pay the fee when you hand in your application

- Make sure that they accept your application by contacting the embassy or consulate-general before you send it

- Embassy or consulate-general do not have the same fees and terms of payment as the Migration Agency



‹‹Find the closest Swedish Embassy to your location››


(Extracted from Swedish Migration Agency website. Last updated on 2018-04-10)
Rate this item
(1 Vote)